Search by Support Category: uControl
1. HDA Cloud
The HDA Cloud acts as our global data storage and service delivery platform offering an interface for MHUB owners, HDA Pro’s and 3rd party devices to talk to one another.
2. HDA Cloud Account
The HDANYWHERE (HDA) Cloud account is the account that belongs to the Homeowner and/or End-User. The owner of the MHUB has to have a verified HDA Cloud account before any communication between MHUB systems and the HDA Cloud can take place.
Registering the MHUB system provides numerous benefits including:
- Extending the warranty period on the system by 1 year (must be registered within 30 days of purchase, Warranty is non-transferable)
- Enables advanced functions for things like voice control, uControl, integration with other IoT devices and Sequences
- Provide advanced troubleshooting information to your HDA Pro installer and HDA
- Provide your HDA Pro installer permission to remotely manage your system, they can then modify your system for you without physically being there
3. HDA Pro Account
The HDA Pro account can not be added to a unit unless a HDA Cloud account (outlined above) is present first. This account authorises the installer to monitor the MHUB on their customer’s (the homeowner) behalf. This account sits alongside the Cloud account and gives a 3rd party access to the MHUB’s data and the ability to control it. HDA Pro’s can register Here
The following Settings can be managed remotely:
- Source Routing (and switching)
- Edid management
- uControl sequence configuration
- uControl IR pack configuration
- Power management
- IP configuration
- Firmware (MHUB-OS, and MHUB)
You can also monitor the following:
IMPORTANT: a HDA Pro Account has to be created first Here and authorised by HDA staff before the installer can use their account details to enable monitoring on the MHUB.
MHUB’s operating system which acts as the bridge between using MHUB and managing it. From MHUB-OS it is possible to connect to HDA Cloud, integrate devices like Amazon Alexa, manage network settings and update software to add new features.
uControl is our remote control app for MHUB 4K PRO systems. It pulls all the information it needs to work directly from MHUB-OS and requires no setup or configuration. Just download it and let it find your MHUB and you’re ready to go.
Setting up the MHUB 4K PRO Control / MHUB 4K PRO Smarthome Skill on the Alexa app
We are assuming that you have already downloaded the Amazon Alexa app and have a functioning Amazon account.
There are two types of skill which you can enable on the Alexa app.
- Custom Skill
With a Custom Skill we have full control over the voice interaction (a voice interaction is the communication you have with an ECHO device when speaking a command and also includes the response given by the ECHO) between you and your Echo device, this allows for a greater range of voice commands including playhead, change channel, switch sources, increase/decrease volume.Click here to view a the full range of voice commands.
- Smarthome Skill
The Smarthome skill differs from the custom skill in a couple of ways. Firstly, invoking a smarthome skill is fixed and defined by Amazon, this also applies to the voice interaction. We currently support on/off commands, allowing you to perform actions quickly by uttering “Alexa, turn on TV” or a custom label like “Alexa, turn on movies”.
- You can of course, use both. They are FREE!
What you need to get your MHUB to respond to voice commands:
- You have completed the first-boot procedure within MHUB-OS
- You have MHUB-OS version 7.0 or higher installed on your MHUB
- You have an active HDA Cloud account
- You have downloaded uControl packs for all displays and source devices you want to control
- You have an active Amazon account
- You have an Amazon Alexa enabled device, such as Amazon Dot/Echo/Show
Linking the custom skill “MHUB 4K PRO Control”
- Go to the Skills section on the Alexa app and search for “MHUB 4K PRO Control”
- Click on the skill and select “Enable”
- Click “Link Account” – when you do this, you will be redirected to HDA Cloud’s secure login page. Enter your username and password in to the fields.
Linking the smarthome skill “MHUB 4K PRO Smarthome”
- Go to the Skills section on the Alexa app and search for “MHUB 4K PRO Control”
- Click on the skill and select “Enable”
- Click “Link Account” – when you do this, you will be redirected to HDA Cloud’s secure login page. Enter your username and password into the fields.
- After the account has been linked, visit the “Smart Home” screen then navigate to the ‘Manage devices in Smart Home’ then Devices. Next click ‘Discover’.
- This action will communicate with MHUB and pull any devices making them ready to use.
Configure voice commands to do exactly what you want
Let’s take the command “Alexa, tell my TV to watch football” as an example.
It might appear like a very simple command but there are a number of things that need to happen in order to watch football! First the TV might need to turn on, but in which room? The volume might need to be set to a desired limit. The correct source input might need to be selected on MHUB and finally that source will need to navigate to the channel hosting the football.
You can configure all those actions in what we call a “Sequence”.
Taking the example above:
Alexa (this wakes up your Amazon Dot/Echo/Show)
tell my TV to… (this invokes HDA’s custom skill)
watch (this is a special function which tells MHUB to start a Sequence)
football (this is your custom name for the Sequence, it can be anything you want)
Inside MHUB-OS we can configure exactly what “football” does.
- You can select if you want MHUB to turn your TV on and adjust the volume
- You can tell MHUB to switch to the source device with has the football on it
- You can instruct MHUB to change the channel on that source device
Here’s a table of all the commands you can tell your MHUB to do…
Now you’re ready to go. Take a look at a full list of commands that you can say to your Echo.
Sequences allow your MHUB to make more complex things happen. For example, a single command could be setup to Turn on a TV, switch to your Satellite box and enter the number keys for a movie channel. These sequences can be triggered in a number of ways to provide a better user experience for MHUB owners.
Sequences are setup within MHUB-OS via the ‘Sequences and Scheduling’ page. They can also be setup remotely via the HDA Cloud (Currently only available for HDA PRO’s, coming soon to end users)
Within this page you can see and edit your current sequences. You can also test all your sequences to make sure they are functioning correctly.
To create a new sequence click the ‘Create New Sequence’ button.
The first part of the Sequence Creation page contains several naming fields which serve different purposes. They are:
Sequence name – This is the name that will be displayed within MHUB-OS
Description – Provide a short description of the sequence so you can see what it does at a short glance
uControl label – This is how the sequence will be labelled within the uControl app
Voice label – This is where voice control (such as Alexa) reads the title of the sequence so it can be triggered. You may find if you are struggling to trigger a particular sequence by voice that you can improve the function by changing the title that your voice control device is listening for.
The next section contains the tools to build your sequence using the available parameters
Switch – Execute a simple switching command, first define the input and then the output you would like it switched to
Source – Deliver a command to a source device via the IR engine. This can be something simple like a ‘play’ command or something more complex like a ‘Go to channel command’ (a ‘Go to channel command’ delivers sequential number inputs so you can direct a TV receiver to a specific channel)
Display- Deliver a command to a connected display (or projector) such as ‘Power on’ or ‘Volume up’
Audio – Will integrate with “MHUB Audio”
Delay – Add a delay between one command and the next (Time in milliseconds to wait, eg. 500ms = 0.5 sec)
You can either choose to save the command or add ‘another command’ to create a more complex scenario. For instance, in the following example, we have first a “source switch” followed by a “Go to channel command” with a 500ms Delay.
uControl is HDANYWHERE’s free remote control app and is available for iOS and Android mobile platforms. Below is a guide to configuring and then using uControl.
- Your MHUB is powered on and connected as per the quick start guide (inside MHUB packaging) to make sure your MHUB is connected correctly to your source devices, displays and has an active network connection before proceeding.
- Your Android or iOS device is connected to the same network as your MHUB
- You have downloaded the latest version of uControl from the relevant app store
Connecting to your MHUB with uControl
Before using uControl, it needs to be linked to your MHUB. Please follow the instructions below on how to do this.
- Open uControl and press the ‘SETUP A NEW MHUB SYSTEM’ button. uControl will now search your network for any MHUB devices.
- uControl will show relevant options. Press ‘CONNECT TO’ MHUB4K44PRO/MHUB4K88PRO/MHUB4K431/MHUB4K682/MHUBPRO4440/MHUBAUDIO64
- The app will now check the status of the unit, This can take upto 10 seconds, then it will show the screen ‘CONTINUE SETUP ON MHUB DEVICE’
- This will take you to the First Boot process on MHUB-OS where you will setup your system – First Boot Process
- After the first boot process is completed you will be shown the following screen. Click ‘ACCESS UCONTROL’ and you will be taken to the main uControl interface.
After uControl is paired with your MHUB you can start to use it to control your device
Source switching on uControl
Source switching is performed by swiping left or right on the input bar and tapping on the required input. When input names are configured on MOS\MHUB SETUP page they will be reflected here.
To change to a different output, tap on the menu icon, and select the desired output from the popout menu, once again any output names configured on the MOS\MHUB SETUP page will be reflected here.
Using uControl to control source and display devices
To enable uControl to control your source or display devices, an IR pack is required and must be installed on your MHUB. This IR pack contains all the relevant information including a screen layout for uControl.
To install an IR pack navigate to the settings menu by pressing on the MENU icon, and tapping on SETTINGS located at the bottom off the pop-out menu. This will bring up the setting page, tap on DOWNLOAD UCONTROL PACKS. this will take you to the UCONTROL page on MHUB-OS.
- Using the drop-down menu, select which source or display you wish to install the IR pack for, This will bring up an expanded menu
- Click DEVICE TYPE to select the type of device that will be connected to the chosen port.
- Next click DEVICE MANUFACTURER and select the make of your device from the list and click on DOWNLOAD UCONTROL PACK – This will load two test commands from the downloaded IR Pack to confirm the commands are working as expected.
- Follow the onscreen instructions to test the two commands
- If the commands work as expected click YES to complete the process. If they do not, click NO and repeat step 4 until you find commands that work
Repeat the above steps until all required IR packs are installed. Once complete, click DONE on iOS or the back button on your android device
When an IR pack has been installed the uControl area of the screen is populated with the source device interface. These are device specific. Some control packs have multiple interface screens which can be navigated to by swiping left or right.
- Gesture Control – This is where you navigate your devices menu or guide using one or two finger gestures or motions on your mobile device, the majority of the screen is filled with the ‘Gesture control area’
- Navigation Control – This mirrors a conventional remote control, with individual buttons for navigation.
- Playhead Control – This screen contains common functions used when viewing a recorded source or watching a bluray. Such as Play, pause, fast forward and rewind.
- Numeric Keypad – This screen shows a 0 to 9 keypad for entering channel numbers etc.
- External App – This allows uControl to open external applications such as Sonos.
- Navigation – single finger swipe up, down, left or right
- Enter – single finger tap
- Play/Pause – two finger swipe up to play, two finger swipe down to pause.